Woah, Google Summer of Code with LibreOffice ( x2 ). This time, I’ll be working on improvement and rework of Special Characters feature in LibreOffice and adding some enhancements to it. I will be mentored by Samuel Mehrbrodt, Thorsten Behrens, and Heiko Tietze. I’ll encapsulate all the proposed changes with respect to the project in this blog.
- Create a way to quickly re-use recently-picked special characters, allowing the user to search in the whole character map, which has no filter to narrow down results.
- Allow users to create their own ‘Special Characters’ subset (Individualization)
- Sorting by last in, first out; items from the list of recently used characters are sorted to the beginning if selected.
- Create a toolbar dropdown control to easily access recent symbols and the user-defined custom subset.
- Have a preview along with the Unicode name.
- Better UI for search (within font subsets) using Unicode name, hex and decimal code.
- Different subsets within a font need a separation in the special character SvxShowCharSet custom widget.
Proposal for the toolbar dropdown for quick access to favorites and recently used characters.
A lot of challenges need to be addressed while working on this project. It’s about time to play with Unicode data and custom-widgets.
For other queries and discussions, please comment or ping me (IRC nick: Akki) on libreoffice-dev / libreoffice-design channel on Freenode.