Google Summer of Code 2016 is coming to an end. It was an awesome experience and I got to learn something new every time I switched my linux on. I was assigned a project before the start of GSoC with my mentors, Samuel Mehrbrodt and Yousuf Philips, but I managed to complete two projects in the given time frame.Here is the link to my GSoC Introduction blog. This blog post provides an overview of the projects I’ve contributed to LibreOffice during GSoC and it’s significance in the professional working environment.
List of latest Commits
Total commits count: 61 patches in master and 31 backport commits to LibreOffice 5.2.
LibreOffice gave me commit access soon after the GSoC coding period started. I also committed few patches of other developers.
I will now continue with an overview of my projects.
The above link provides description of all the functionalities which are there in the new design. The dialog has gone through a major rework solving the defects which were surfacing in the previous template manager for ex: visible empty folders.
Initial Commit: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-5-2&id=ca040d16d06fead95ad7ed8d10f5995fbade1219 New Template Manager
After the initial commit, I continued with my work and a series of major and minor commits were made to implement the functionalities. The commits can be found in the commit lists provided above. I’ll mention three of the important ones here.
- Impress: Replace Presentation Wizard with Template Manager: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=bb8040595c9b6f0ccde39e6833f27a50abb891d8
- Remove TemplateRemoteView from Template Manager: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=77725bf4df6e9cf63469c1d7f8888ea339575b5e
- tdf#61396 Possibility to edit a template not in Template Repository: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=384c75b7e8b50a64a1c0e8fd1ffef1350e2522d2
- Merge Local View and Abstract View: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=98ab98b4bef7b4eb0dc392c4f5f7416b1827b4bf
After this project was completed, me and my mentors decided to take another project. It was Samuel’s idea to create an emoji toolbar control and we discussed the development process in detail.
The above blog contains all the information about the emoji control.
Initial Commit: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=72e6f08c692c0625db5ce377fb478a99660adb0d GSoC Emoji Control
Adding Noto Emoji font to LO installation: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=ecb096841a1d7b4d468ba111df4ebafc13134c8e
- Goto Page Dialog for LibreOffice 5.3
- Online Templates View [abandoned due to lack of server framework]
- Removal of Presentation Wizard from Impress
- Creation of Active Menu Button
- Bug 75369 Non-installed applications aren’t greyed out
- Bug 87697 Indicate selected thumbnail view
- Bug 90577 Accessibility for clearing Recent Docs
- Bug 79889 Recent docs consistent with recent items list in File > Recent Documents
- Bug 79198 Close button doesn’t reappear after being clicked
and so on..
There was so much to learn during GSoC and I would like to thank the LibreOffice community for continuously helping and supporting me to complete the projects.
Thank you Google for such an awesome summer program. 👌